Lehigh Water Gap Chain Bridge Toll House
Weider's Crossing, PA

Photograph of the Former Lehigh Water Gap Chain Bridge toll house

Photo credit: C.T. Evans 2019


The Lehigh Water Gap Bridge toll house and east bridge abutment, along with the accompanying chain bridge, were constructed circa 1826 across the Lehigh River in upper Northampton and Lehigh Counties at what was called Weider’s Crossing about ½ mile below the Lehigh Gap proper. Despite the removal the chain bridge itself in 1933, the toll house continues to exist largely intact along with the east abutment of the chain bridge.

Two explanatory documents

Some additional images